Freezing Avocados is awesome when you come across a good deal on really ripe avocados. In fact, a lot of people don’t even know freezing avocados is possible. It’s so easy and I love to take advantage of those times when the wonderful avocado fruit is on sale. It is one of my favorite fruits, along with olives and chili peppers. Here in San Diego County, the avocado capital of America, there is even a highway dubbed “The Avocado Highway” because there are so many avocado groves along the route. The Aztecs actually used avocados as a sex stimulant or aphrodisiac!
My girlfriend loves avocados more than anyone I have ever met. It is probably her favorite food. So, we went to the farmers market and got a litter of avocados cheap. Why were they so inexpensive? Because they were ripe and ready to eat. We bought quite a few (it’s never enough) and left some out to eat and will freeze the rest to use as we need them and before they spoil. Frozen avocados don’t work well if they are in halves, chunks, slices, or pieces. They should be ripe and it’s best if they are mashed up. These will keep for 3 to 6 months frozen, but we always eat them within a few weeks. Why? Because WE LOVE AVOCADOS!!
Here’s how I freeze avocados!
- Avocados (however many you can get your hands on!)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or lime juice per avocado (this helps to keep them green)
1. Mash up the avocados with a fork and add the appropriate amount of lemon juice or lime juice to the mashed avocados. Mix well.
2. Put the mixture in plastic zip lock bags in the amounts you prefer, remove as much air as possible and seal tightly. I try to stick to about 2 avocados per bag. More than that takes longer to thaw.
3. Place in the freezer until you need them.
4. When ready to use the avocados, place the frozen plastic bag in the refrigerator for around 24 hours to thaw or place in a bowl and run cool water over the baggie until thawed.
5. Use the avocado however you want. Maybe some guacamole dip or in a vegan sandwich or wrap! Perhaps in an avocado salad or in your favorite vegan avocado recipe. Mmm. Or with some nachos, quesadillas, tacos, or burritos. Yum! Oh so many ways to spread the avocado love. Some people freeze avocados for baby food. I often like to keep it simple and just add Tabasco sauce, salt, pepper, and some ground cumin.
Voila! That’s all there is to it. Simple, huh? Freezing avocados is EASY! Try it. Stay funky and vegan!
~* The Funky Vegan