This is an easy and delicious recipe, packed with flavor, using organic whole wheat spaghetti and vegan Italian sausage. The best part? If you didn’t tell someone it was vegan, they would never know the difference.
So, who doesn’t like spaghetti? Especially when it is packed with flavor and wholesome ingredients. I know. I know. You’re already thinking, “I have my own recipe for spaghetti” or “It’s just easier to use store-bought Marinara sauce.” But, I promise that I wouldn’t be posting this if it wasn’t the absolute bomb-diggity. Just give it a try. It doesn’t take long to make and beats using jarred Marinara sauce any day.
It is always recommend to use pasta made in Italy and we really love the Garofalo brand of Organic Whole Wheat Spaghetti. It is imported from Italy and can be found at Costco. However, you can use any pasta with this recipe. You may also substitute crushed red pepper (like the kind you get with pizza) if you don’t have the whole dried peppers handy. It is highly recommended that you do not substitute for the Cavender’s Greek seasoning, which can be found at most grocery stores. Of course, you can use sugar, or any sweetener, in place of the organic blue agave nectar.
Let’s get crackin’.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
1 (16.7-ounce) package of organic whole wheat spaghetti
1 (14-ounce) package of Tofurky Italian sausage, sliced
1 (28-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
1 head of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup water
5-10 dried red peppers, finely chopped or crushed
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3-4 dashes Tabasco brand pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon Cavender’s Greek seasoning
3/4 teaspoon organic blue agave nectar
1. Fill a 6 quart stock pot with 4-1/2 quarts of water. Place on high heat and start the process to bring to a boil.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and vegan Italian sausage slices to a pan on medium-high to high heat and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Add garlic, onion and Cavender’s seasoning to a 3 or 4 quart pot with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Sauté over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add basil, oregano, and bay leaf, then stir briefly and reduce heat to slightly above medium.
4. Add tomatoes, black pepper, crushed red pepper, organic blue agave syrup, Tabasco sauce, 1/3 cup of water, and 2 teaspoons of salt (to taste), and stir. Save remaining 1 teaspoon of salt for pasta water.
5. Once the marinara sauce is bubbling, add the vegan sausage then reduce heat to low and simmer until pasta is ready.
6. When the pasta water is boiling, add the remaining teaspoon of sea salt and spaghetti, then cook according to package directions, usually around 9 minutes.
7. Quickly drain spaghetti using a colander, leaving a small amount of cooking water (1/4-1/3 cup) in the pot. Do not shake excess water from pasta. Place pasta back into 6 quart pot it cooked in, but off the heat. Add Marinara sauce and stir well.